Environmental Services, your public sewer and stormwater services provider, will begin construction soon to repair about 600 feet of public sewers on SE 3rd Avenue between SE Alder and SE Yamhill streets. The existing sewers are 80 to 110 years old and in deteriorating condition. This project will protect the public and the environment by reducing the possibility of sewage releases to properties and streets.
A map is available at www.portland.gov/bes/construction/SE3rdAve
The Water Bureau will be relocating a water mainline on SE 3rd Avenue, south of SE Belmont Avenue in mid-August. Sewer construction will begin in late August and is expected to last about five months.
Construction work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and Saturdays if needed.
Pre-construction activity will begin the week of August 2nd. Environmental Services’ contractor, JW Fowler, will be inspecting sewer pipes in the area by inserting a closed-circuit television video (CCTV) camera into manholes or sewer cleanouts. To learn more about pre-construction activities, go to www.portland.gov/bes/pre-construction.
Due to the very soft soil conditions in the area, the contractor will be using the Jack and Bore method of sewer construction. Jack and Bore is a trenchless construction method that involves drilling a hole underground and pushing a new pipe in to place. To learn more about the Jack and Bore method of construction, visit www.portland.gov/bes/methods.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
You can expect the following activities and impacts with this sewer repair project:
- Safe Work Site: Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets, and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Noise, Vibration, and Dust: Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Traffic Delays: You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers. The contractor will maintain local access to all properties, but construction may impact normal use of your driveway or entrance to your business
- Parking Restrictions: On‐street parking will be restricted in and near the work zones to create a safe work environment and to stage equipment and materials.
- Equipment Storage: Some equipment and materials will be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
- Maintained Service: Sewer, water, and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
- Typical Work Hours: Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Schedule Changes and Inactivity: Construction schedules can change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. These same variables may cause periods of inactivity during construction phases.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit www.portland.gov/bes/construction/SE3rdAve to sign up for project updates or contact Debbie Caselton at 503-823-2821 or Debbie.Caselton@portlandoregon.gov. Please include your name, property address, and project name (SE 3rd Ave) in your voicemail or email so we can provide you more details about what to expect in front of your property.